6-10 years of experience. Designs and builds relational databas
Client is seeking an experienced database developer to support our Application Development, Systems Operation activities and reporting in general. They will have primary responsibility for developing and maintaining ETL scripts as well as writing complex queries for reporting using raw SQL queries and scripting languages such as Perl, Ruby, etc. In addition to designing to fill a particular set of requirements, they will also balance immediate needs with future direction and ensure that work for one project can be leveraged for other purposes as much as possible. Additional areas of focus include initiatives to increase report automation, making data more easily available to allow for self-service end user data pulls, and the creation of infrastructure to consolidate data transfer between the main Student Information System and other systems of record (service oriented architecture, etc), In addition to technical skill they must have a strong sense of curiosity as a critical part of the role will be to help come up with the future long term vision for data systems in DCPS and plan out what should be built to implement that vision.
Core responsibilities of this division include:
1. Works with other programs and offices within client to understand overall client needs so as to implement strategic rather than tactical solutions
2. Write SQL code to implement complex queries for reporting
3. Create scripts and queries to enable data integration between various student data systems
4. Design ETL approach to pull data from systems of record into reporting systems
5. Creates user-friendly report formats and on-demand report interfaces for use by non-technical users
6. Investigates new technologies and suggests new solutions to business problems
7. Evaluate software to determine the level that it meets the needs of the business today and in the future (design, extendibility, flexibility, integration, utilizes generic business objects/components etc.).
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Skills
1. Required: Bachelor’s degree required
2. Required: Understanding on the Aspen SIS and EADS’ Reporting Platform data models is required
3. Required: 5 to 9 years experience in database development or database administration
4. Required: Strong Experience with Oracle and/or MS SQL Server
5. Required: Strong Experience with ETL approaches, concepts, and tools
6. Required: Strong Experience with standard scripting languages (Shell, Perl, Ruby, etc)
Strong Candidate will have:
1. Advanced degree is a plus.
2. Experience with data warehousing a plus
3. Exceptional facility with tuning SQL queries to optimize performance relative to application needs
4. Exceptional knowledge of standard database concepts (query optimization, database tuning, data modeling, etc)
Database Developer – Aspen 2
5. Experience with application development languages and tools a plus (Java, node.js, etc)
6. Good experience with supporting tools and technologies including basic operating system tools (mainly Linux) and configuration options.
7. Keen sense of maximizing return on investment, focusing on the 80% solutions rather than a fruitless quest for perfection
8. Strong self-starter and ability to work independently
9. Strong attention to detail and the ability to translate high level technical and business initiatives and goals into discrete tasks and specific timelines
10. Excellent communication skills, especially the ability to actively listen and draw out the true needs rather than the stated wants of any given stakeholder
11. Superb problem solving skills and troubleshooting abilities
12. Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
13. Strong focus on teamwork and developing the skills of DCPS colleagues both technical and non-technical
CONTRACT JOB DESCRIPTION
1. Designs and builds relational databases. Performs data access analysis design, and archive/recovery design and implementation.
2. Develops strategies for data acquisitions, archive recovery, and implementation of a database.
3. Works in a data warehouse environment, which includes data design, database architecture, and metadata repository creation.
4. Translates business needs into long-term architecture solutions.
5. Defines, designs, and builds dimensional databases.
6. Develops data warehousing blueprints, evaluating hardware and software platforms, and integrating systems.
7. Reviews and develops object and data models and the metadata repository to structure the data for better management and quicker access.
Minimum Education/Certification Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field or equivalent experience