NLT at DC GIS
NLT is proud to have held a long-standing partnership with DC GIS. The following are among the many projects we have successfully undertaken for DC GIS:
- In support of the DC GIS Strategic Plan, DC GIS undertook a citywide planimetric update in 2005. The original GIS planimetric data was produced from 1999 aerial photography. This effort was designed to update that pivotal dataset using new aerial photography obtained in 2005. NLT, in coordination with Fugro EarthData and DC GIS staff, worked to update and capture various planimetric layers to more accurately reflect the District’s ground conditions.
- NLT, in partnership with CyberCity, supported the development of the first citywide 3D multi-patch dataset. In total, there are approximately 125,000 3D buildings, making it one of the world’s largest 3D models. NLT also developed three-dimensional spatially accurate photo-realistic models of Washington, DC, by merging the multipatches with oblique imagery. The goal was to aid DC GIS in developing an implementation plan for various 3D technologies and visualizations. NLT performed the initial pilot work leading to the development of this project and continues to support the District’s application and use of the data.
- When DC GIS set out to improve the quality and lower the cost of geospatial education provided to DC Government personnel, it called on NLT. Our GIS trainer worked onsite with DC GIS and the Center for Workforce Development to compose training procedures; customize courses, documentation, and newsletters; enhance tools; and secure hands-on training facilities. Over the course of the project, NLT conducted GIS training for more than 700 DC Government employees. Our efforts met the goals of increasing awareness of the DC GIS program and educating DC employees about how to use GIS effectively.
- NLT’s GIS analysts worked onsite to perform a number of geospatial data production tasks for DC GIS. Projects included:
- A routable multi-modal transportation network based on ESRI’s transportation model.
- Compressed high-resolution imagery for distribution to customers.
- Historical maps digitized and geo-referenced.
- A DHS standardized data model for data sharing and collaboration.
- A checklist for compliance with FGDC (Federal Geographic Data Committee) standards for data security/sharing.
- Metadata creation.
- Data creation for FCC and National Park Service datasets.
Recently, NLT has been awarded an IDIQ contract to provide GIS services on a task order basis. Our first assignment under that contract involves Arc2Earth Google Data Services Enhancement.
Please contact Sales@NewLightTechnologies.com for further information on our work with DC GIS.